Tuesday 24 June 2008

Quilt Show at Shonai Airport, Yamagata Prefecture

While I was away at the National Quilt Championships at Sandown Park, Esher, Surrey, my friends at Peaceful Heart Quilt Group in Yuza-machi, Yamagata, Japan, were setting up their quilt exhibition at Shonai Airport. Reiko Domon, who leads the group, is wearing the headband in the photo below - two of her quilts are hanging behind (the one on the left has photos on fabric). Some of their recent sashiko work includes the leather and sashiko handbags in the second photo.

I sent some of the projects from "Japanese Sashiko Inspirations" -

- and several quilts, including "Japanese Fans" (I hope the others arrived OK!)

The hanao (straps) on these geta are one of my favourite things in their exhibition! So chic...

Reiko sent me a photo of this vibrant mid Showa era girl's kimono - I'm guessing it is wool muslin. She is going to send it to me, so it will be a lovely addition to my children's kimono collection.

1 comment:

rupr said...

Susan, I love your books. Recently I made top of quilt inspired by bishamon from your book about sashiko. You can see it here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/imichalova/2588398552/in/photostream/
I want to make it in diferrent colours too. Solid fabrics, I suppose.