Monday 16 February 2015

Quiltfest 2015


Now Quiltfest is over at the Royal International Pavilion (the exhibition at Llangollen museum continues for a little longer), here are some photos from the exhibition.  On Saturday, I taught the '1718 Revisited' day workshop once again.  Kitty, Anne and Marjie were up for having a go at the monogram block in needleturned applique too... so I decided I had to have a go with needleturn myself - I've started a block with Glyn's initials and mine, which can become the monogram block for the bright colours version I want to make.



Anne had finished hers by the next morning!


The 1718 turned into a recurring events over the weekend. DeAnne Hartwell Jones, one of our previous guest artists at Quiltfest 2011, brought her 1718 quilt to show me.  This is the first finished quilt I've seen made from the book, so it was exciting to see it interpreted in such a lovely colour scheme.  DeAnne is a big fan of English paper piecing (mosaic patchwork as we called it in the book) and that's how she constructed her version.  She's going to be writing an article about it for "In the Frame", the journal of the Quilters' Guild of the British Isles Traditional Quilt Group. 


We were at trading day with all the goodies, including some new fabrics and sashiko threads we brought back from our recent trip - we'll have many of these at the Spring Quilt Festival at Edinburgh next weekend too.


This year, there was a contest for Region 13 members - 'I like Region 13 because...'


 


These are some of my favourites.  The journal quilts competition was for members of the Contemporary Quilt Group.



Overall winner of the Region 13 category was Gwenfai Rees Griffiths with her friendship star tree.

 

A few photos around the pavilion once it had got quieter towards the end of the afternoon...


Photos from this year's exhibition will be added to the Quiltfest website very soon.





It's always good to go back to Llangollen, as I know so many quilters and other textile enthusiasts in that area, so I can catch up with friends.


Now I am getting ready for the Spring Quilt Festival next weekend.  I had a fun time last Saturday and Sunday too, giving a talk (Japanese Textiles for Special Occasions) and a workshop (Sashiko Kinchaku Bag) for the Dundee branch of the Embroiderers' Guild.  At this time of year, there seems to be an event every weekend!

No comments: