Sunday 15 November 2015

Yuza Sashiko quilts in Tokyo


Quilts by Yuza Sashiko Guild members were shown at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum this week, as part of the Japan Handcraft Association's Teachers' annual exhibition.  Here are some of the works shown.  Enjoy!  Many thanks to Yasuko Ishii for letting me share her photos.  I hope my sashiko course students will find these photos inspiring.





I don't know who made which quilt, as I can't see the labels in the photo, but I wondered if the one below might be by either Reiko Domon or Chie Ikeda?  They have both made quilts where the sashiko patterns are distorted and arranged in innovative ways, like this.



 

We saw this quilt as work in progress when we visited in September last year.  The seigaha (ocean wave) clamshells in applique at either end are an interesting detail.




1 comment:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

These sashiko pieces are just so beautiful, all of them. Thank you for posting!