Friday 7 April 2017

A weekend at the Prague Patchwork Meeting - the quilts - Part 1


There were so many interesting quilts at the Prague Patchwork Meeting last weekend, and I can only show you a few!  So I will write a second post about them later.  Innovative use of materials seems to be a common link between many of the quilts, and is both refreshing and inspiring.  These are just quilts that grabbed my attention - my personal favourites.

As usual, click on the photos to see them at a larger size.  I have included the labels with the maker's details.

The first selection of quilts are from Pia Welsch's exhibition.  I love the innovative ways Pia has used some of my fabrics in her quilts.  The orange 'marbled' silk is one of mine.




Her kimono shaped series are very interesting.


The grey and peach wave patterin silk in this quilt is one of mine.



Also the rainbow wool in this one.  Alas, all these fabrics were sold out a while ago!



There was an exhibition of quilts from South Korea.  These were exquisite in design and stitching, with lots of texture in the fabrics.





Fabulous machine quilting in this motif.





This quilt caught my attention when I saw it on Friday morning.  Incredible!



I made a short video clip, as it is impossible to capture the sparkle of hundreds of crystals in a photo.




Corrine Zambeek van Hassett uses a very interesting batik technique to dye the fabrics for her quilts, which she kindly explained to me.  Wow! She really knows how to use colour.  We indulged in some of her hand dyed fabrics too - very, very hard to choose just a few to bring home...





Some of the quilts from the SAQA exhibit.







This exhibition was displayed on artist's easels.






Another quilt from the Korean exhibition.




Simple construction but a wonderful use of colour and value.


More quilt photos soon!

No comments: